Thursday, June 14, 2012

Thankful Thursday: FFA

I believe in the future of Agriculture...

The Kentucky FFA State Convention has been going on this week in Lexington at Rupp Arena and the Lexington Convention Center. Tuesday and Wednesday I had the opportunity to go be apart of it as a judge for the Goat Impromptu and Junior Parliamentary Procedure.

While judging is fun, the best part of the week was seeing members from my 2005-2006 State Officer Team. It has been 6 years since we retired our jackets after spending an incredible year of service. It was one of the best and rewarding years of my life.


Sam Evans, myself, Mary Jennings, Devan Parrett Gaddie, Sheldon Pence McKinney, and Thomas Stevens

I miss FFA. I get the opportunity to judge and help students prepare for interviews, but it is definitely different from personally wearing the blue and gold. But hey - thats part of the process.

Yesterday as we sat at the Judges & Alumni Luncheon, there was 4 of us from our team present. The other two that were there are teachers, so they are off chasing their students. We were reminiscing, telling stories, and I'm sure making a fool of ourselves - just like we did 6-7 years ago. Those 10 people hold a special place in my heart, and always will. Now we are getting married and having babies. It seems hard to believe.


2005-2006 Kentucky FFA State Officer Team

The National FFA Organization had one of the most profound impacts on my life. Not only did I experience many successes, but I grew as a person professionally and personally. I learned about working hard to achieve success, being a graceful loser, and the importance of helping others around you. I always enjoyed teaching and leading FFA members. It was so rewarding.

Today was the final session of the 2012 State Convention. This year is was broadcasted live on the internet through IHigh. So today I pulled it up to watch the installation of new officers and the retirement of the 2011-2012. These days can be summed as one of the best and one of the worst days. One year you are so excited to be named, and the following year it breaks your heart to hear someone's name take your spot. As I sat at my computer watching it, I began to cry. As they took off their jackets, I was reminded of that day, and my heart hurt for them.

I could not be more thankful of the FFA events that happened in my life, and continue to today. I am thankful for serving as the Kentucky FFA State Secretary, and for the 10 individuals who became my family. There is nothing more impactful and moving than a group of passionate Agriculture students in the national blue and corn gold.

Thank you FFA for changing my life and thank you to my team.

Looking forward to our 10 year reunion.....

No comments:

Post a Comment